The Ministry of the Holy Spirit
Course: The Fruit of the Spirit
Lesson Six (Outline)
Lesson Title: Kindness
Text: 'But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law,' Galatians 5:22.
Theme: Kindness the fruit of the Spirit is far higher than natural kindness.
Introduction: Kindness (Greek 'chrestotes') - deeds of kindness shown to others.
· The kindness of God is also shown to those who reject Him, (Psalm 145:9).
· The Lord told His disciples that they were to follow this example and be kind to those who opposed them, (Matthew -45).
Introductory Story: A kind person is one who is concerned about the needs of others.
The world makes appeals for aid in times of famine, or children in need, or natural disasters. This is not the fruit of the Spirit.
· Kind intentions are derived from human nature and are not the fruit of the Spirit. This is highly valued by the world.
· The fruit of the Spirit is rooted in 'agape' love. It is self-sacrificing love that is not stopped by rejection or hostility.
Kindness, the fruit of the Spirit, is unlike the kindness of the world.
1. Kindness will make us like Jesus, Luke 6:35.
· The kindness of the Lord is seen in His love for the unloving and the undeserving. Romans 5:7-8; Titus 2:4-5.
2. Kindness is compassionate and forgiving, Ephesians .
· It is always active, 1 John
3. Kindness will love those who have been unkind towards us, Luke 6:27-28.
· The fruit of the Spirit will rejoice to show kindness to an enemy, Romans 12:20.
4. Kindness is characterised by generosity and the absence of self interest, Luke 6:29-31.
Kindness, the fruit of the Spirit, will
1. …make us like Jesus in loving those who do not deserve it.
2. …always be compassionate and willing to forgive.
3. …love those who are unkind to us.
4. …show generosity far beyond the expectations of the world.
What should the student do?
1) Take every opportunity to be kind.
2) Show kindness to those who do not expect it.
3) Respond to unkindness with generosity.
4) Let our kind actions be a testimony of the love of Jesus.
5) Give thanks that our kind actions will glorify the Lord.